Tuesday 16 January 2018

TORCH




TORCH

Guide me to the light with the flame that lit your wet stick
Guide to the place where I can dream without the fear
Guide me, oh flame, to the time where I can speak of my pain
For today, I’m again stuck within my lips and unable to scream my misery
The dawn had brought a temporal relief from the demons that fight my slumber.

“Come away with me, little one. I’ll show you a game to ponder”. 
The voice called out to me, and my innocent mind failed to hear its evil
Misery woke me up with a start and my fingers failed to rub the smear from my lids.
When will I partake of the fun-fare the bright light brings in the night
I am again locked in the cocoon of my own arms, and my tired eyes sees salvation as a mountain I could never climb.

My situation awoke depression,
I began to dwell on the dearth that is my circumstance
I pondered, and bam!, there came a solution.

I picked a knife, and put it on my wrist just like I saw on the television
Back and forth
Back and forth
I strengthened my hold
But my veins refuse to open up for my dirtied blood to flow
I walked to school, again safe in the dreary dark of my mind
I saw the big truck coming and walked towards it so it could befall me
I blinked and I was back on the sidewalk, 
watching the truck’s ride merrily down the slope
Death ran from my open arms and evaded my wanting calls.
Thinking again of a way to beat nature’s hero, I set my mind to best her bravado
And… suddenly… a ray of bright snuck into my daydream
“I love you” was the voice. 
It spake to me.

Never before have I felt the power of those words, and my defenses stood to pull down their potency.

“I love you”

“I love you”

They came,
a litany, 
and then a mantra, 
drowning my lethargy.
They went inside me and swept me clean of my burdens.

The Word bled for me, giving His life for mine
He purged my filth and pulled down my defenses.
My slate was wiped, and my tears, dried.

My phlegm infested throat gave way for the music he brought to my soul
And I sang “amazing grace, how sweet the sound, the sweetest song I know”.

1 comment:

  1. What a marvelous torch that set my heart on fire. Amazing grace indeed reached out to me when I was at hell's door. It drew my feet from the miry clay and set them on the solid rock where, by His wonderful grace I will not slide. I so love this post.

    ReplyDelete

If I were 16 again

 I would bind wounds and not stab with words that escaped the prison of my mouth. I would learn to fly without checking the wind's inten...