Wednesday 16 January 2019

THE WOMAN IN THE IRON CAST SERIES (DAY 1)

6:00am

I am woke, and after the initial yawn, I remember who I am.
I am a mass of societal labels, I breathe and live the words spoken against me, to me and they have defined my entire existence.
I looked at dawn with a sense of forebode and I wished that dawn would not smile at me like satisfaction and its atmosphere would spur a retch in my belly.
I closed my curtain to the joyous possibilities dawn whispered calmly at me, already set to battle rejection with the consistent mask I have tasked my heart always, to bear.

7:00am
I am dressed in my work clothes, down to my little heels, but of course, I feel naked even though my long skirt is swishing around my ankles like the curtain draped over the window, and the cuff of my shirt tickles my wrist in an annoying reminder that I am imperfect.

I stepped into my hidden room, fearing no eavesdrop as I caressed the bodice of my armor, murmuring sweet words to her so as to soothe the wounds she bore and reassure her fear, for I knew as well as she, that today will not be different from the other days when I was plagued with blows from society.

I put on my armor, chanting the words I always say whenever I buttoned her up, "You can survive another day, you have been built to withstand the blow of words. Give silence to mockery, and ignore every sneer. For today is a day as many, and it will end as soon as a blink."

10:00am

Ada walked in as elegant as a moon on a stick, and she spread the fragnance of her new perfume deliberately by bumping into people and slowing her pace in front of the furious blast of air from air conditioners. She did a tour around the office making sure that those that purposely ignored her, noticed her.
She stomped towards me, making sure that whenever her ridiculous heels collided with the tiles, a very obvious sound of "KOI KOI" emanated from the clash.

She walked to my table and said in a voice that was as annoying as her personality, "Bia akpa akpu, Is oga around?", and the visciousness of her intent flew from her tongue and hit my armor's tired stance, and I had to take a minute to recover before I replied her demand.

10:00pm

I'm on my bed, my armor hangs worn, in my closet, and without the protection I am vulnerable. Ada's blow had only opened a door for many more and it was more than my shield could take and it'd cracked under the pressure.
On my bed, I shiver under the sweltering heat and will myself to sleep. This after all is just another day in my life.
"Please tomorrow, don't come so soon" I whisper as I drift into oblivion.




Translation of "Bia akpa akpu..." - "Listen, you bag of pounded Cassava.





2 comments:

  1. Your world need to hear you... You are the voice they have longed to hear...

    ReplyDelete

If I were 16 again

 I would bind wounds and not stab with words that escaped the prison of my mouth. I would learn to fly without checking the wind's inten...